Wednesday, June 18, 2008

When life throws a curveball....

I have been reminded yet again not to count too much on things going as planned. I have had a rough turn of events, and I am proud of myself for keeping positive. I honestly think a lot of it is surrounding myself with positive people, but overall it is me that determines how I deal with life. So, for a general timeline of my past year:

May 2007
1st year of pharmacy school finals
1 week later, classmate dies of drug overdose
Same day I find out, I started a fellowship and I hit the final straw with my husband and his addiction

Several months of serious training and emotional divorce

September 25, 2008
Separated from my husband- my daughter and I lived with my parents while I finished school and found an apartment

October 2008
SOMA HIM, my first- 5:46, well below my goal of 6 hours

November, 2008
Started dating Sean from Durango

December 12, 2008
Divorce is final

December 15, 2008
Finish finals and start moving into my new apartment

Several months of training more than studying, dating Sean, and adjusting to being a single mom again

April 20, 2008
Sean and I break up....we had been talking about the future, and I was sure I was falling in love. This breakup brought me to my knees and to this day hurts when I think of that week.

May 15, 2008
Finals end, and I don't care anymore about my grades, just that I survived

May 18, 2008
Buffman and Squeaky, Oly PR

May 20, 2008**- the curveball of 2008
Had a great 2-hour ride with new friend and ex pro-cyclist James, and that evening attended the crit, where I fractured my pelvis in a crash involving a pedestrian...separate entry for this event

May 24, 2008
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, Durango, CO...was gonna be my first road race, but couldn't do it

May 25, 2008
Narrow Gauge 10-miler...again, couldn't do it

June 14, 2008
Take Keely to camp in Durango, where she will be for a month!
First ride outside on a bike since accident

June 17, 2008
4 weeks since crash and finished 4th successful bike ride

So, I have been feeling extremely unfocused for several months, but when I look at the fact that I went through a divorce involving some serious emotional issues I won't divulge online, and became a single mom again, plus keeping up (barely) in a tough year of pharmacy school, keeping up my training, dating a great guy only to have it fall apart right before finals, and then a major injury that has sidelined all of my wonderful and ambitious plans for the summer, I try and give myself a break.

1 comment:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Oh, Amy - I knew about some of that, but not all of that. I wish you the best in everything. Have fun at BSLT.